Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Day Seven - Höfn to Seyðisfjörður

This morning when checking out of the hotel, the guy at the front desk gave us directions to this re-creation of a Viking village not far from the hotel. It was super cool! And kind of creepy. We were technically not supposed to be there. We were out there completely alone in this spooky village with sheep wandering around. Awesome!

We had a bit longer of a drive today that included lots of mountain driving in the rain and a bit of snow. After driving over a giant mountain we descended into our destination Seyðisfjörður. It is the most adorable town and we stayed in Hotel Aldan which I have to determined to be my favorite hotel in the world. It was built in the 1920s and is decorated in all white with antique furniture. The hotel is comprised of three different buildings -- the building we are in used to be a bank. I'm totes decorating my next bedroom/house in this style!

We were lucky enough to be able to eat dinner at the hotel restaurant on the last night before they closed for the season. I had the cod and it was delicious and so fresh. I'm not a big seafood fan, but I've had to try it whenever possible while on this trip and it's been amazing.

Unfortunately, even though Seyðisfjörður is an amazingly cute little village and is supposed to have lots of great artsy shops, it's too rainy and windy to venture out. It looks like most things are closed anyway, due to the weather and being so late in the season. We'll drive around in the morning at least to see things before heading out.


Will's reward for being so good in the car all day!


Hidden Viking village.


Viking village.


Will and I walking in beautiful desolation.


I wanted to bring this gentleman home with me.


Lava meets ocean.


This photo makes me want to sell all of my worldly possessions
and hop on the next plane back to Iceland!


The drive to Seyðisfjörður.


Sheep on the beach


Seyðisfjörður -- I love you.

Our amazing hotel. I must go back sometime in my life. MUST.


No comments: